Monday, December 7, 2009

Brennan H's Tips for Writing Rejection or Refusal Letters



I’m sure no one out there wants to get a refusal or rejection letter. Who wakes up in the morning and says, “I can’t wait to open my mail box and get bad new!” Well guess what? No one does. Rejection and refusal letters are all part of the business response cycle. If you send a request into a business you will probably get one of the two responses. You will either get a positive response or a negative response.

Positive response in letters that benefit the reader

Negative responses in letters give bad news and disappoint the reader

The only negative response letter I have written is a complaint letter. Complaint letters are the easiest to write. It lets others know what they did wrong and how they can fix it. If you would like some ideas on how to write an effective refusal or rejection letter, than follow these tip.

1. First prepare the reader for the negative response. Make sure that you provided them with some kind of a positive thought like “We were happy to receive your application and know that you have future interest with our company”.

2. Make sure you are clear on your negative response. This means that when you are giving the reader the bad news; make sure you back it with the reason why you had to reject them.

3. Give the reader alternatives or solutions. You should add a paragraph giving the reader some suggestions to improve what they did wrong so that they will have a better chance the next time they come in for an interview or submit a formal request for something.

4. End with a positive statement. Tell your reader that you look forward to hearing from them again and thank them for the time they put into your business.
All these tips helped me outline perfect letters and will give me an advantage in the business world. If all these tips can help me write better than I know they will help you.

2 comments:

  1. good post! The best point you made is about giving positive feedback in rejection. If I am getting rejected for something I want to know why. Make sure you proofread carefully, but good job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. It was very clear and organized. The 4 tips are very helpful when writing a refusal or rejection letter. I personally have never have to write either of thesee types of letters yet, but when I do I think this would be a good source to look back at for some quiock tips.

    ReplyDelete