Monday, November 30, 2009

Adam V's Designing Technical Documents in Web-based Format


Designing technical documents in web-based format is something that I was not to familiar with before I started this blog post. This was a tricky topic, so I will do my best.

What is Technical Documentation?
Technical documentation means documentation with regard to a product. In terms that you may understand, it means documents and information that are passed on to the public by the person or company that wrote it. Examples of this include software manuals, installation manuals, servicing instructions, user instructions, and operating instructions. They are the papers that come with a product, for example, they are the papers on how to operate something like a lawn mower. This means that we probably use technical documents before but without noticing it.

No Technical Documentation?
If you ever lose the technical documentations that came with the product there is something you can do without going back to the store where you got your product. Most companies put their technical documents in a web-based format on their website for all their products. This is convenient because, you can just go to the website, search your product, and the desired technical documentations appear on your screen. I had to do this the other week, when my television all of a sudden started to turn off. I went online to the company and within minutes, I was viewing the technical documents on how to fix the problem I had.

Tips for Designing Technical Documents
When designing technical documents, you want to make the information simple. You do not want to put fancy words, because this will confuse your reader. Also, make it very easy to navigate through your technical documents, this is great for customer satisfaction. Using programs such as Adobe, are very helpful when creating the technical documents.


Video Example
Here is a six minute video on youtube that is very helpful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-PUmFdeJlI

Reference: http://www.transcom.de/transcom/en/technische-dokumentation.htm

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a good job on this difficult topic. I also did not know anything about technical documents until reading your post and watching the YouTube video. I know have a better understanding on this topic. Great post!

    ReplyDelete