Monday, November 30, 2009

Brennan H's Ideas on How to Write a Great Thank You Letter

Writing a thank you letter is a very professional way of responding to situation that you have encountered in the past. This could be from a prior interview, a meeting you just had, or even as simple as sending your grandma a thank you letter for your birthday gift. I have never been one to write many thank you letters in my days, but I know it is a professional think to do, especially since I want to work in upper management.

A thank you letter is basically what it says it is. It is a letter you write someone to thank them for something they did. When I want to write a thank you letter I usually know what I am going to say to them right away. I am not one to sit and brainstorm for five minutes I like to free write my ideas and revise them. I would recommended if you do not like to free write, that you should free write because it makes your letter sound less boring and more creative.

Remember, when writing a thank you letter always be clear on what you want to thank them about. If you are thanking a manager for having you come in for an interview, than thank them for giving you the time to get to meet you. Also make sure that you check for grammar mistakes and spelling mistakes. I am not very good at checking my papers all the way through because my grammar is not very good. If you have the same problem as I do, than have a friend look over your work.

Here is a short You tube video clip on how to write a thank you letter. I hope this helps you in wriitng more professionally.


3 comments:

  1. Great post on thank you letters. I liked how you used your own voice while writing this. I agree with your about free writing and then revising your written work. The YouTube video was also very informative. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. You included your own voice very well. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with nicholas on the voice. I sent a thank you letter after my last job interview and got very good feedback from it (not the job though!). They said I was the only one to send a letter

    ReplyDelete